Nothing says Summer to me more than watermelon, and it also just happens to be one of my favorite compliments to our sweet crab meat!
- Prep Time: 35m
- Cook Time: 5m
- Total Time: 40m
- 1 Seedless watermelon, peeled and cut into six 1’ thick discs (using a ring cutter)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Small Orange, juiced
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- ½ Cup EVOO
- 1 pound Crab meat
- 1 package Arugula
- 2 Oranges, supreme (peeled and segment cut out)
- 1 Small red onion, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 Bunch radish, shaved or thinly very sliced
- 1 Bulb fennel, trimmed and shaved on a mandolin or very thinly sliced, reserved the fronds for garnish
- 2 Tbs White Wine Vinegar
- For the vinaigrette
- In a small bowl combine the citrus juices and slowly whisk in the EVOO to combine. Season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp of pepper
- For the Pickled Fennel
- Add the shaved fennel to a bowl and add 1/3 of the vinaigrette and the vinegar, toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Strain before using.
- For the salad
- Season the watermelon discs with the remaining salt and pepper and place on serving plates. In a large bowl add the red onion, radish and pickled fennel. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Add the arugula, orange and crab and gently fold to combine. Place salad on top of the watermelon, garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and serve.