There are two major types of croquettes, those with a mashed potato base and those with a béchamel base. Our Spanish style croquettes are the classic béchamel base and these are a bit of a hybrid with a combination of mashed potato enrichened with some of our Manchego Mornay sauce.
- 8 ounces Crab meat
- 3/4 cup Mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup Manchego Mornay sauce
- 1/2 cup Chorizo mix
- 2 tablespoons Scallion, green part thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Flour, for breading
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt for seasoning after frying
- In a medium bowl add the mashed potato, Mornay and the chorizo mix, mix to combine using a rubber spatula. Add the crab and the scallions and fold together until fully combined. Using a tablespoon or small scoop form into small balls, about 1 oz each, should make about 24 croquettes. Refrigerate the balls for at least 30 minutes, until firm to the touch. Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls and bread the balls, lightly dusting with the flour, into the egg (allowing excess to drip off) and then the breadcrumb. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat oil to 350⁰ and fry in batches until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels, season with salt. Serve immediately with Romesco sauce.