A few years ago one of our West Coast customers was looking for a unique recipe to showcase our crab meat. Well, when I think California, I think avocado. And it just happens that crab is the perfect compliment for the delicate flavor and creamy texture of avocado. So, in the spirit of my crab soup showcase, here is the recipe.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:1h
- Total Time:1h 15m
- Avocado Soup
- 2 Jalapenos, roughly chopped (seeds removed if you do not want too spicy)
- 6 Ripe Haas Avocados, roughly chopped
- 2 bunches, ½ of green tops removed, roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock, 1 cup reserved to adjust consistency
- 1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (about 2-3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Crab Relish
- 1 pound Backfin Lump Crabmeat
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes, seeds removed, cut or sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (1 large lime)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if you do not want spicy)
- 1/4 cup Scallion, green tops reserved from soup, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Working in batches, combine all ingredients for soup in a blender and process until smooth. Add reserved cup of stock to adjust consistency as desired. Allow to chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Adjust seasoning before serving.
- Just before serving soup, combine ingredients for relish in a large bowl and gently mix to combine using a rubber spatula.
- Portion soup into bowls and garnish with the relish.