A classic Greek salad, aka Horiatiki, does not contain lettuce of any kind. Just tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, feta and a red wine vinaigrette. Well it is tomato season, so now is the perfect time to swap the feta for a little crab in this classic salad!
- Prep Time: 1h 10m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 1h 20m
- 2 Seedless (English) cucumber, peeled and shaved into thin strips or julienned
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (Greek preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Vinaigrette & Pickling Liquid
- 1 Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Red, Yellow or Orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound Crab Meat
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved lengthwise
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- For the Pickled Red Onion
- In a small bowl or container, combine ¼ cup red wine vinegar, ½ tsp salt, the honey and the sliced onion. Stir to coat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain before using.
- For the Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.
- For the salad
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients except the crab, pickled onions and the feta. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Add the pickled onions and the crab and gently fold to combine (being careful not to break up the crab meat. Divide onto plates and serve.