An easy seasonal butternut squash soup, upgraded with an easy salad of crab and buttery caramelized apples. Bonus on this dish as the crab salad used as the garnish on the soup is also used (with a few extra ingredients) to make a some delicious crab lettuce wraps or can be served as a plated salad for a welcome Fall lunch.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 50m
- 1 2-3lb Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into 1” dice
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 1 tablespoon White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cup Chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice (about 1 of a small lemon)
- 1/4 Peppadew Peppers (About 6 peppers), sliced
- 1 cup Sliced Small Tomatoes
- 1 cup Sliced Hearts of Palm (about ½ of a can)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 3 cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled and ½ “ dice (3-4 apples)
- 1 pound Crab Claw Meat, remove the large merus pieces from the top and reserve as garnish
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, ground
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crab and Apple Salad
- 1 Head Butter Lettuce, leaves removed and washed
- To make the soup
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter and allow to melt. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes, add the garlic and nutmeg and cook for 30 seconds. Add the squash and stock and bring to a light boil, cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until squash is very tender (make the salad now). Blend the soup using either and immersion blender or in batches in a traditional blender. Return to the pot, add the cream, heat over medium until warmed though, reserve warm.
- To make the salad
- In a skillet over medium high heat add the butter and allow to melt and just begin to brown, add the apples, sugar and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the apple are just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes, add the lemon juice and sauté an additional minute. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool. Once cooled, add the chives, crab and peppadews , Fold together using a rubber spatula. Transfer ½ of this mix to a small bowl, season to taste and reserve. Add the tomatoes and the hearts of palm and fold to combine, season to taste.
- To plate
- Portion the soup into serving bowls and top equally with scoops of the crab salad (without the tomatoes and hearts of palm). Garnish with some of the large merus pieces of crab. Stack equal amounts of the lettuce leave on plates and top equally with scoops of the crab salad with tomatoes and hearts of palms. Your guests can eat the salad with knife and fork or make lettuce wraps with the leaves using the salad as the filling.
What is the measurement on the butternut? I can’t tell if that’s 2-3 lbs ??
Yes, 1 2-3lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1″cubes. Thank you.